[haiku] Re: Tentative approval for paying for the fliers

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 10:01:05 -0800

Urias McCullough wrote:
On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 8:53 AM, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The condition "that *at least* Haiku Inc can see the final flier before
promising to reimburse the funds" (which he and others kept repeating) does
not give that impression at all. In fact, this clearly means the Haiku Inc.
reserves itself the right to not fund the printing at its discretion, which
is not reassuring nor motivating at all.

I think that you responded defensively to the suggestion. In my
experience, the larger the committee involved in reviewing and
"signing off" on such, the longer the process takes. So if you feel
that you would rather the entire project and all contributors reviewed
it rather than just a smaller set of individuals, that's your choice.
I suspect Haiku, Inc. would have been less critical though ;)

Since you have confirmed that both of these will happen, I think you
can be reassured of receiving funds for printing.
Is this Haiku Inc.' official position? If so, can I ask what has stopped you
until now from saying "we commit to paying for the printing, so please
proceed with the design"?

Looking back at the initial thread now, I see that after Matt asked
the specific questions about publishing the artwork and allowing
review of the artwork, etc. that the discussion turned into how many
fliers, would it be better to print them ourselves, and then into
paper reduction, etc. At some point there, the discussion basically
went completely off-topic for the initial request, and the purpose was
lost. I think this is a natural occurrence when starting a public
discussion about such a project.

I somewhat stopped reading much of the discussion when it got heated,
I just don't have that much time and patience at the moment. I can't
speak for others though. When the thread split into multiple threads,
and then turned into debates over who had what power to do what, I had
to almost stop reading my email completely at that point to keep my
sanity :)

For me personally, there was still a question of how many fliers we
should get, but it seems that decision was pretty much made anyway
throughout the paper reduction discussion, and printing price
comparisons in Europe.

In the end, I think this is a good example of how seeking permission
by public consensus can be painful at times. I suspect we would have
landed at almost the exact same result if it was done directly with
Haiku, Inc. - as much as that may feel "dirty" for some people.
Hopefully we don't all hate each other now.

Much more complex issues have been decided by consensus on this list, like the alpha 1 release, for example. I was not seeking permission; I was trying to reach a consensus through a vote; that vote did not work not because there is something inherently inviable in the process, but it was illegitimated and thus killed by Haiku Inc..

Anyway, you still don't answer my key question: you said that "I can be reassured of receiving funds for printing". Is that Haiku Inc.'s official position too?

Cheers,

Jorge/aka Koki

PS: The number of fliers is not important, as long as Haiku Inc. is willing to pay for it.