[haiku] Technical FAQ?

  • From: "Miroslav Stimac" <Miroslav.Stimac@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2011 22:45:36 +0100

Hello,

I know that there is an official general FAQ:
http://haiku-os.org/about/faq
It is nice and useful, but I think that it would be wise to have an official
technical FAQ on the Haiku website, too.

Although I had some experiences with BeOS (I used it just for fun for a few
months end of the 1990s), I really had some problems with Haiku after I had
installed it for the first time.
The installation is very simple and Haiku is very user friendly, but still I
had some questions:
- How to boot Haiku in safe mode?
- What graphic cards are supported (not only VESA mode)?
- Where can I find the boot log file?
- Where is the configuration file for the boot process?
- What other file systems (NTFS, FAT16, FAT32, Unix and Linux file systems
etc.) are accessable? Read or write mode?
- Is Java available?
- Is Mono available?
- Is a Flash Player available?
- What movie codecs are supported by the built-in player?
- Is HTML5 supported?
Etc.

I kinow that these pieces of information can be found in some documentations
and in the forum respectively mailing lists, but it is not easy to find them.
A technical FAQ may be much more user friendly.

How about to write one?
It would be fun for me to write parts of such a FAQ and help beginners who just
begun to use Haiku, but I do not know all the typical questions that beginners
may have and surely there are some special questions which I even can not
answer.
Would somebody like to write such a FAQ, too?
If so, let us create a small team and do it.
What do you think about the idea?

Best wishes,
Miroslav