[openbeos] Teams

  • From: Clay Vincent Schentrup <cvs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 15:15:45 -0500

     Okay, say I make the "sockets" function so that when someone says #include
<sockets.h>, their code actually works and allows networking.  Now at some
point, every call it makes has to be turned into assembly langauge.  So first
of all it has to make some call to the kernel interface to write to and read
from the /dev entry associated with the NIC.  But for the compiler to work, it
has to have object code for any calls I make to do that.  If you follow the
trail of code down, every call has to come down to assembly at some point.  Has
this been done already?
     And about circular references, it seems like the only way to avoid them is
to not make any calls to other higher level API classes or functions.  The only
calls should be to things like iofstream.h, open(), close(), ioctl(), etc.  I
guess I'm very foggy on how drivers, modules, API classes/functions, and the
rest, all work together.   And will we be able to use BeIDE to make OBOS code,
by just plugging in the OBOS libs and changing the folders that BeIDE looks in
for various include statements?

Clay