[openbeos] Re: Teams

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 17:24:27 CEST (+0200)

Clay wrote:
>      Well, I've completed algorithmic problem solving I and II in C++
> , a SCHEME
> class, an assembly language class using a Motorola 68HC11 to make,
> among other
> things, a graphics card.  I've written C++ code to interface with
> custom made
> USB devices, as well as created the drivers for those devices in
> Windows.  I
> have a pretty good idea about programming.  Maybe you are
> misunderstanding my
> question.
..
>      Unless the ".c" for iofstream.h is already object code; or uses
> functions
> and classes that are themselves already linked to an object code
> file.  You
> talk a compiler is some sort of intelligent entity that can just
> convert source
> code to machine code without specificiations (ie object code files).

I really don't see your problem. From an application writer's point of
view, you don't have to care where "those object files" are coming from
- you have a specified set of functions that you deal with.
Say, you write a DHCP client, and what has to be done on the networking
stack to implement it. If you need to write something in the kernel,
again, you have a specified API that you will use.
You don't have to care what the compiler does, as long as it does it.
Of course, we will have to port gcc over to our new platform one day
(as BeOS' version is a bit old already). Also, we have to implement all
those C functions, many of them will directly call (via syscall) the
implementations in the kernel.
So if you want to know how the lowest level of API look alike, just
have a look in the src/kernel directory: you'll find all the things
that are there.

Adios...
   Axel.