[openbeos] Re: Team Leaders

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 13:15:35 -0500

>Interesting to read indeed...
>Now that wouldn't have happened if those almighty teamleaders wouldn't discuss
>and decide everything privately.

A number of people seem to have this *vastly* mistaken impression and I want to
nip it right now.
Team leaders are servants. Very simple concept. We aren't people who enjoy
wielding power.
We are a dedicated group of people who have signed on to do *EXTRA* work.

To track the state of modules/kits and be sure that things are getting done. To
do the "paperwork" of
getting things on the website, sourceforge, etc. To see what is not getting
done and get people assigned.
Woo hoo! We are just a boatload of fun!

We are a small group who critiques each other freely. Something that can not,
should not and will not happen on
the main (OBOS) list. We volunteer for admin because we have a passion to have
things get done and are willing
to do extra work to make sure that they do. Not to have every thing we do
criticized in front of 450 people.

Yes, we make decisions. Pretty darn few. A lot less than you probably think.
Many things are just "done", then adopted
if they work out. Prime example - our first web site. The site was written,
then sent to me as a completed work.
Another example - "our" IRC channel. Someone chose that, and it just caught on.
There was not a dark, secret meeding
of team leaders in hooded robes who vote in a dark room.

OBOS is a project founded on results. If you want respect, or more "power",
such as it is, in the organization, then do more work.
Very simple. I know I will forget some people, but here are some examples of
people who have stepped up and done prodigious
work:
Ithamar, Aaron, Daniel, Axel, Bruno, DarkWyrm, Erik, Tyler, Jason VanDerMark,
Marcus, David Reid and more.
These are people to whom I will look for help and listen to for advice. They
work like animals and produce great work.
Most of them are team leaders. That isn't a coincidence. They do the most work
and get the most credit, recognition, etc.

I don't know, folks. If you think that Linus and Alan Cox share every email
that they write to each other, I would be very surprised.
Or if the patch acceptance group of BSD land doesn't have a mailing list, I
would be surprised.

Anyway. Back to work for me...