[openbeos] Re: T-DOSE 13th and 14th of October 2007: Call for help

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 13:24:41 -0700

Niels Reedijk wrote:
Hi guys,

Jorge and Ingo did some prepwork on the T-DOSE event in Eindhoven, The
Netherlands. The event is "to promote use and development of Open
Source Software". Last year the event attracted 200 visitors, they
hope to attract more people, but they couldn't give me a firm
indication yet.

Now there is booth space available for Haiku, and I would like to
attend the event. The problem is that I'm a single person, without any
good hardware to show Haiku on. So what I'm looking for is:
- People with time on one or more two days to man the stand.
- People with hardware on which Haiku works
- Suggestions on promotion, demonstrations, and what attracted
interest in the past on these kind of events.

If you decide to get a booth, count on getting a Haiku poster delivered to your door. :)

With regards to suggestions, it is good to prepare your demo machine in advance with not just the OS, but some applications (that you know work with too many problems), and/or files that you can use to show Haiku in action.

The Haiku demo partition in my latptop has apps like Vision, BeShare, Wonderbrush, Army Knife and JukeBox. It also has a number video files that I know Media Player can play, to do the "Haiku under load" demo. ;) Add to that (several hundred) mp3 and ogg music files, and (about 100) People files that I use to show how queries work, as well as to showcase the ability of Tracker to display and even edit attributes.

Recently, I have added some apps from BeOS 5.0 and 4.5 in order to show both compatibility as well as some of the BeOS coolness that Haiku has inherited (for example, the Book app runs nicely in Haiku). ;)

I've arranged with the organisers that I'll let them know on wednesday
whether or not we will take the booth. So if you live in The
Netherlands, in Belgium or in West-Germany and you have the time
and/or the stuff to join, let me know ASAP. Note that the language of
the event is English. If there's enough interest, I will reserve the
space. Afterparty on sunday at my house!

BTW, it looks like there may be some presentation slots available, so even if you can't gather the resources (people, hardware, etc.) to have a booth, it would still be nice for you to pursue giving a presentation about Haiku.

Cheers,

Koki