[haiku] Re: Supporting web content in non-English languages

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 09:04:49 +0100

-- Jorge G. Mare, on Thu, 19 Nov 2009 13:25:26 -0800:
> > # Concerns about content outdated/out of sync
> >
> > This is a valid concern for content that changes constantly; but if
> > you
> > look at the pages under the About and Community sections, that is
> > not
> > the case. If anything, this would be more like a one-time
> > translation
> > job with very occasional updates thereafter; this is nothing that
> > the
> > translation teams which have formed thanks to the Haiku User Guide
> > translation initiative couldn't handle.

Maybe, if the contents is fairly static, the same system as for the
user guide can be deployed.

> > # Intl. Forums: are they necessary?

I'm still not convinced that they are, but am not really against having
them.
I just don't expect too much traffic. What would I post, that I know
only a small percentage of Haiku users can understand when I get pretty
much all of the forum readers in the English section?

It could be my German bias, however. At least the current German Haiku
users have to the most part no problems with using English forums. It's
different with other nationalities, like e.g. Japanese.
But maybe I'm wrong and all those Germans are desperately waiting for a
forum to mingle. OTOH, I see that the oldest(?) German forum at DeBUG
isn't exactly brimming with life, and the forum at the Gazette is a sad
flop if ever I've seen one... :)

Maybe have one international forum with the different languages as
subforums, and a sticky thread for requesting a specific language. Say,
if 5 people would "sign up" the subforum is created. Just an idea...

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de