[openbeos] Re: Support for Ancient Computers?

  • From: "Brian Verre" <bverre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 08:36:41 -0500

While I sympathize with people wanting to use older machines to mess around (I
have a few myself ATM), as a general question, wouldn't it make more sense to
cut ties with this older hardware while Haiku is a fledgling system?

Target i686/x64 for R1, etc? A quite affordable 'modern' system can run QEMU at
P/200 speeds, or just use virtualization. I built a new AMD64 system for a
friend for around $200 (complete) a few months ago. Used case, 40gb drive and
DVD/CDR drive sure, but the HD can be had for $10 used, and the disc drive $20
new if I didn't have a couple.

Maybe I'm off base here, but it is an honest question about moving on. Use
those old PCs as appliances of some sort instead?

Regards
-Brian