[openbeos] Re: Support for Ancient Computers?

  • From: "Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 11:19:55 -0700

On 7/14/07, Gerald Zajac <zajacg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Recently I attempted to run Haiku on two old computers that are about 10
years old with 200 and 233 MHz MMX Pentium processors, respectively.
The boot process would not start;  that is, the Haiku boot screen did
not appear, and nothing was written to the syslog via the serial port.
BeOS booted and ran okay on both of these computers.

You're experiencing bootloader issues

I have no opinion as to whether Haiku should support ancient computers
such as these;  however, I'm curious as to whether this project intends
to support computers this old.  If not, what are the minimum
requirements for a computer?

Haiku is currently i586-targeted, and therefore should technically
support anything that is Pentium or newer (> 486).

I have successfully booted haiku on several old Pentium machines,
including a P75 laptop with 40mb memory (only was able to boot to a
safe mode shell because 64mb memory is required to get to a desktop).

In several cases, I also have experienced bootloader issues when
building the disk partition with a newer machines - I'm not sure what
causes this.