[haiku] Re: Suggestions to change double click on window title behaviour

  • From: Eddy Groen <eddyspeeder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 12:16:15 +0100

2009/11/2 Dave Osbourne <super_dooper_dave_osbourne@xxxxxxxxx>

> Eddy wrote some anti eye candy comments:

I do feel I ought to add a slight nuance here that I am not "anti eye candy"
per se, provided it is functional. I'd like to get that record straight
before I get stigmatized as becoming the advocate for minimalist design that
would put off many potential users. In fact, just recently I've suggested
that the Haiku theme indeed should be rethought for R2, but not at the cost
of losing the uniqueness of BeOS. (I feel I should commend Stephan and Ryan
here; note that at OSNews there was a lot of enthousiasm for the slightly
updated yet typical BeOS design).

To explain the difference between functional and non-functional (even
dysfunctional) eye-candy: very recently, this list has commented on some of
the gruesome Windows design. I wholly agreed with the complaints around the
time Windows Vista was released for it not being a major improvement over XP
except for adding eye-candy inevitably leading to (for that time) absurd
system requirements. The glass transparency stuff; I'm sure that
transparency definitely has a future but not that way. The translucent
Terminal window in OSX is an example of how it could be done the right way.

I pretty much could not understand why on Earth someone would want their
window to minimize slowly (Quartz technology is amazing indeed). Now I got
your explanation, I may actually have fun with it every once in a while.
Thanks, Dave, for mentioning the rumor. I always like to hear about these
things (e.g., the rumors about the origin of the Keynote app).

I love BeOS for its simplicity (indeed, +1 for Jorge's minimalism quote) but
I also love OSX for its glossy beauty. I've customized the Finder icon into
a shiny striped color apple (modernized old logo) and have replaced many
icons in the Dock to adhere to a sort of blue-white-gray color scheme. Would
I feel the need for that with the BeOS? Ummm, no.