[haiku] Re: Suggestion for the deskbar.

  • From: André Braga <meianoite@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 10:28:57 -0200

On Thursday, October 29, 2009, Eddy Groen wrote:
> Waldemar:
> My suggestion is to swap the position of the Leaf-Button and the system tray
> as you can see on this picture:
>
> Stefano:
> There is a big disadvantage with this: You can't just point the mouse
> pointer to the right top corner of the screen and click, to open the
> menu. You have, instead, to aim carefully for it.
>  Interesting idea which I really do understand. I myself am more a menu_man
> (leaf on top) but seeing certain system statuses at all time would indeed
> convenient if a window spans the entire width of the screen (under Zeta,
> full-size windows default to not overlapping the Deskbar).

[snip]

> There are a few possible solutions. I do suggest the first one:
> Just don't overlap the Deskbar menu with windows. Or have the Deskbar always
> on top. This is the easiest solution as this is already possible;
>
> Make it possible for a user to customize the Deskbar ordering (menu, trays,
> application expander);Allow the Haiku menu to sacrifice some Deskbar space
> for user-defined system-info icons (when I picture it in my head, I do expect
> it to look ugly);
>
> Make the system-info icons available as replicants that the user can drag to
> the top of the Desktop (the "blue space" in Waldemar's second screenshot).

5th possibility: turn the corner to which the deskbar is attached into
a hot corner, whose action is to open the Deskbar menu. So that if you
flick the cursor towards it and then click it will open the menu
regardless of the leaf button position.

I like the idea of an always-visible status tray, but losing an
extremely Fitts' Law-privileged region like a corner is a non-starter.
This would solve it of one accepts sacrificing strict purity of button
events.

Cheers,
A.

--