[haiku] Re: Suggestion for the deskbar.

  • From: Eddy Groen <eddyspeeder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 17:42:58 +0100

> Waldemar:
>
> My suggestion is to swap the position of the Leaf-Button and the system
>> tray as you can see on this picture:
>>

> Stefano:
> There is a big disadvantage with this: You can't just point the mouse
> pointer to the right top corner of the screen and click, to open the
> menu. You have, instead, to aim carefully for it.

Interesting idea which I really do understand. I myself am more a menu_man
(leaf on top) but seeing certain system statuses at all time would indeed
convenient if a window spans the entire width of the screen (under Zeta,
full-size windows default to not overlapping the Deskbar).

Stefano, may I point out that if you make the Deskbar smaller, the
application-expander will sit in the top-right half of the upper layer, and
the menu icon will sit in the left half, meaning that even Be chose to
disregard this behavior. (I just installed VirtualBox 3.0.10 and now Haiku
won't boot so I can't test whether this still holds true for Haiku.)

There are a few possible solutions. I do suggest the first one:

   1. Just don't overlap the Deskbar menu with windows. Or have the Deskbar
   always on top. This is the easiest solution as this is already possible;
   2. Make it possible for a user to customize the Deskbar ordering (menu,
   trays, application expander);
   3. Allow the Haiku menu to sacrifice some Deskbar space for user-defined
   system-info icons (when I picture it in my head, I do expect it to look
   ugly);
   4. Make the system-info icons available as replicants that the user can
   drag to the top of the Desktop (the "blue space" in Waldemar's second
   screenshot).

Eddy