[openbeos] Re: StyledEdit news of various interest

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 21:28:32 +0200 CEST

"Andrew Bachmann" <shatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Although you couldn't add a new character set without providing some
> code
> to perform the translation, there are some other modifications that
> you could
> make without needing to change the code.  For example, providing new
> aliases to existing character sets.  Or providing a mime type for a
> character
> set that previously didn't have one.

I don't think this makes putting that stuff into a file worth it.

> Well, maybe some of my suggestion comes from my annoyance at having
> code in the construction of the character set objects as well.  The
> character
> set objects don't themselves have the code for doing the conversion,
> (maybe
> they should?) so they are just a bunch of int and char * fields.
> Maybe a
> little dabbling in initializers would simplify things.  I'll try to
> take another
> look when I get a chance.

Dunno, that should be determined by the libtextencoding.so
implementation :)

> BTW, we don't have any libtextencoding.so code in obos yet.  And I'm
> pretty sure the character set code should go in there instead of in
> libtranslation.so.  I think this lib implements only two exported
> functions:

Exactly, I just mixed it up (and I guess I am not the only one).

> 00000a80 T convert_to_utf8(unsigned long, char const *, long *, char
> *, long *, long *, char)
> 00000e14 T convert_from_utf8(unsigned long, char const *, long *,
> char *, long *, long *, char)
>
> Hmm... on the other hand I suppose it could cause a problem to
> introduce
> classes into libtextencoding.so because C code could link to it.
> (right?)
> Does this mean we should put the code somewhere else, restructure it
> use C, or perhaps make a new lib for it? (libcharacterset.so?)

No, that's no problem. You can easily call C++ functions from within C
and vice versa. That's one reason why the C++ names are mangled so
strange :)

> BTW, I'm still not clear on whether or not we can use libiconv.so.
> The
> iconv package has a lib called libcharset.so also.

IIRC iconv is part of glibc, and I thought about putting it into
libroot.so as well, since the sprintf/sscanf implementation might rely
on it (well see, but I should definitely pick that up again).
Maybe we can augment libtextencoding.so to include iconv as well - that
might be an almost clean solution.

Adios...
   Axel.