[openbeos] Re: Storage Kit & Packing Attributes

  • From: "Alexander G. M. Smith" <agmsmith@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2001 11:02:59 EST

> [...] The directory might be flagged in a way that it appears to
> be a plain file, attribute streams would be simple file streams,
> with plain file descriptors to access them. [...]
>
> What's lost is the space optimization that BFS does of placing
> small attributes directly in the file's inode. Maybe that
> optimization can be generalized to any small file hanging
> off a directory.

Or go all the way like ReiserFS does and pack small files together
in the same disk block.  They also have a clustering system where
the hash codes for related items (things which should be together)
are nearby too, or at least that's what I conclude from a quick
reading of their web site and mailing list.  That could easily be
extended to put attributes near their files.

- Alex