[openbeos] Re: Storage Kit & File System Design

  • From: "Alexander G. M. Smith" <agmsmith@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2001 10:59:52 EST

>One thing I am keeping is removing the separate calls for dirs and
>files. Same thing will apply, open a dir as STREAM_TYPE_DIR and read()
>from it normally, the data returned is as if it was a record-based file.

I also wonder why Unix has both rmdir and unlink, one for files and one for
directories.  Under the hood, my experimental RAM file system has one delete
function which does it all (including checking permissions, and for directories
making sure they're empty).  Presumably if you're going to delete something,
you can use another way of finding out if it is a file or directory other than
deleting it.

- Alex