[openbeos] Re: Storage Kit

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2001 13:12:00 -0500

>Hi Travis,
>
>readattr/writeattr are a breeze compared to OS/2's extended attribute API,
>but they're still unnecessairly clumsy compared to the standard file access
>API.
>
>I don't know what kind of problems might arise, but what about turning files
>with attributes into directories?
>
>The directory might be flagged in a way that it appears to be a plain file,
>attribute streams would be simple file streams, with plain file descriptors
>to access them.
>
>Enumerating attributes would work like enumerating files in a directory.
>
>Some magic would be needed somewhere to map usual file operations (open,
>stats) to the main file's stream.
>
>What's lost is the space optimization that BFS does of placing small
>attributes directly in the file's inode. Maybe that optimization can be
>generalized to any small file hanging off a directory.
>
>BTW, should OpenBeOS' binary compatibility goal also apply to the file
>system layout?
>
>Duncan

It seems we have a whole group of aspiring FS designers. :-) COOL!!!
For R1, though, we really *need* to have bfs compatability. I just don't think
that upsetting the apple cart too soon is too good of an idea.
I would certainly, though, like to see what sort of things can be done.
dbg made a lot of tradeoffs (as does any FS designer). It is possible that
those tradeoffs are no longer as optimal as they were when he made them
(hardware and needs have changed).