[openbeos] Re: State of the Union and PPC support

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 18:04:34 -0500

>Regarding hardware, I think a PPC port is looking like a better and better
>idea... its not just Apple in the business...
>A lot of companies have started building PPC boxen for Linux purposes, and
>several more in the interests of running the new PPC AmigaOS4, and it looks
>like the POP (PowerPC Open Platform) movement has resurrected itself.
>
>The good thing is that these are reference platforms, rather than specific
>designs, which hopefully means a greater degree of compatibility than the
>nastiness of x86-land...
>
>Have a look at http://www.bplan-gmbh.de/
>These guys seem to be quite supportive as far as getting various OS's to
>run, and are quite close to a release...
>
>Sorry, getting a bit OT, but given the promising PPC roadmap, scalability,
>BeBox history etc, I think its worth putting a bit of effort in (sorry, I
>don't have the hardware on coding know-how to help myself :)

Putting a little bit of effort doesn't scare me.
Reverse engineering 20 models does. :-)
If there are any *shipping* or, even, pre-production models out there, I would
be interested. I have been around the PPC scene long enough to know that the
vapour outstrips the shipping product by about 5 to 1. Wait - now that I think
about it, that is the whole industry. :-)