[openbeos] Re: State of the Union and PPC support

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 19:55:33 +0100 (MET)

I don't think the GCC team would mind paying Apple royalties for supporting the
PEF format :D

IMHO paying to be able to use a file format (or a protocol, or a codec, or
anything that transports data) is a non-sence.
Just like the Mpeg consortium wanting ppl to pay:
- $2M for the MPEG4 fileformat
- $0.xx per streaming server or something, and even worse:
- something for each played seconds
Are they nuts ???
Even Apple should pay, which is quite funny when you know that the
difference between .MP4 and .MOV files is just the way strings are stored (as
pascal strings for MOV, and C strings for mp4, \0 terminated).
(even if the MPEG FAQ denies the use of QT ... it's just "inspired" from it)
(believe me, I made a mov/mp4 parser for ffmpeg...)

So about PEF... does even Palm pay fees to Apple for that since it's used in
BeOS-PPC ? :D

/me is really wondering where this whole world is going...