[haiku] Re: Splash icons licence ?

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 01:24:35 +0100

Hi,

Olivier Guerrier <olivier@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I would like to known what is the licence of the artwork used during
> haiku boot sequence (the 7 icons going from b&w to color):
> http://dev.haiku-os.org/browser/haiku/trunk/data/artwork/boot_splash/splash_icons.png
>
> I'm working on an embedded device (not using haiku atm ;), but I want to
> make a wink to haiku in our prototypes, by using the same icons (under
> our own logo)
>
> To do so, I must be sure that theses icons are not protected by
> trademarks or restrictive licence.
>
> This page:
> http://www.haiku-os.org/community/guidelines_for_creating_a_haiku_distribution
>

> says "You may use the official Haiku icons and artwork" But is this
> specific to haiku distros ? (and it is not a licence...)

These icons themselves can be used as per the MIT license, which is the
license of all original Haiku code. This means you need to mention the
origin of these icons somewhere in your documentation. If you use the icons
only for an internal prototype, I believe you can do without this
requirement. Ie just use these icons in the prototype without restrictions.
The MIT license applies when you make a distribution to customers or users.

The distro guide lines were made specifically to maintain a unique "Haiku"
brand and establish the "original Haiku distribution". We have made a
concious decision not to include icon and other artwork besides the
official logo, since it would put up a huge barrier to anyone wanting to
make his own distribution. Even though you are not making a Haiku
distribution, the same license should apply to the icons as applies to the
Haiku code, if you were to use parts of it.

Thank you very much for your courtesy to ask before going ahead and using
the icons. That's very much appreciated.

Best regards,
-Stephan