[openbeos] Re: Spelling #2

  • From: "Karl vom Dorff" <haikubounties@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 21:24:09 -0500

Good, then we agree on those changes.

I'm a native English speaker as well, I just don't consider myself an expert :)

I see the first error in the picture was changed already, that was quick!

Also, yes this probably isn't the best place for this. Where is the Haiku-web list?

Karl

From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [openbeos] Re: Spelling #2
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 18:08:08 -0800 (PST)

Karl vom Dorff wrote:
> On: http://haiku-os.org/about
>
> Under 'Why Haiku' I'm pretty sure the idiom is 'means to an end':
>
> 'As a tool, software is a mean to an end, and not an end in itself.'

Yes I agree. This was probably just a typo.

> Under 'Who we are'
>
> 'Haiku is mostly developed by volunteers'
>
> Would be fine, but sounds more proper switching 'developed mostly'.

I agree with this change too. It is subtle but to me it sounds better
as 'developed mostly.'

> From: http://haiku-os.org/about/faq
>
> Reading 'What is Haiku' I read it over a couple of times and still
> don't
> understand what's trying to be said in the last part of the sentence.

Agreed. What it is saying is Haiku is both the project name and the
name of what the project is creating, a desktop operating system
inspired by the Be Operating System. I don't think this precision is
required. I would suggest the following:

"Haiku is a project to create a desktop operating system inspired by
the Be Operating System."

Most people will assume the OS we are creating will use the same name
unless we say otherwise.

If someone really feels it is important to distinguish between the
project and the thing being created, maybe this is better:

"Haiku is both the name of our project and the name of what the project
is creating: a desktop operating system inspired by the Be Operating
System."

But that sounds awkward to me too.

> Under 'Why not Linux'. The first sentence should be rephrased.

Here is a suggestion for that:

"Linux-based distributions are made of a diverse collection of software
that do not necessarily follow the same development guidelines and/or
goals."

> Under 'Do you have a road map'?
>
> 'Our key goal for the Haiku 1.0 release (or R1 as we call it) is to
> achieve
> binary compatibility with and functionality that is at least
> equivalent to
> that of BeOS R5.'
>
> Take out 'with'.

In this case I don't agree. If "and functionality that is at least
equivalent to that of" is removed the sentence would not make sense
without the "with."

> Oh! I found a link to donate! I find the location a little obscure
> though,
> at the end of the FAQs?
>
> I'll look at more later. I don't consider myself an expert in English
> although I usually get quite decent marks on essays at University.
> Perhaps
> someone else on the mailing list can confirm these issues?

I am a native speaker and so far your grasp of the language is
excellent.

Ryan

Your Space. Your Friends. Your Stories. Share your world with Windows Live Spaces. http://discoverspaces.live.com/?loc=en-CA