[openbeos] Speeding up a partial build

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Open BeOS" <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 12:39:52 +0100 CET

Hi there,

as you may know, we are using a "jam" replacement that builds its
dependencies over the whole tree. That is, if you want to build your
tiny application, say "ls", you probably don't want to have "jam" read
through all those Jamfiles with every invokation.
Now, there is something simple you can do about it: just download a
verbatim jam 2.4 (or soon, 2.5) and copy that into your ~/config/bin
directory. But don't overwrite our version, or else you will have some
problems building the thing; rename it to whatever you like (I called
it "ljam" like, "local jam").

When you now build something using "ljam", it won't be rebuild if any
of its dependencies in other directories have been changed; i.e. the
"Media" prefs app won't be rebuilt because libmedia.so has been
changed. But, and that's sometimes important when you are developing
something, it's much faster (which is the intention of the whole
thing).

If the AddResources rule annoys you that it can't build "rc", you can
safely remove the dependency in the Jamrules file if you've already
build it once.
Change line 975 of current/Jamrules to:
        Depends $(1) : $(2) ; #rc ;

That's it. Hope that saves you some minutes over the development of R1
:)

Just keep in mind that you can't or shouldn't always use it; use it
only when you know that it must work.

Bye,
   Axel.