[openbeos] Re: Sound effect plugins

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 09:52:05 +0200

Hi Stefano,

[...]
> There I didn't find much mind opening probably (maybe this was not the
> right moment since they're going to release and promote LV2) but
> anyway I think that the idea is quite cool, so if you're interested
> just let me know.

we have some constraints as to how our Media Kit needs to work, since we
need to be compatible with BeOS R5. What I would suggest to you is that you
somehow get a version of BeOS R5 running (on real hardware or emulated),
and that you download some "sound plugins" from BeBits and an application
called Cortex. Cortex is already part of Haiku too. It is an application to
instantiate and connect "Media Nodes". These nodes can be sitting inside
plugins. One such node written is a VST plugin "wrapper", and quite a few
VST plugins have been ported and published at BeBits. It is fun to install
some plugins (follow the readmes) and play around with them using Cortex.
Please don't hesitate to call for help if you have problems setting it all
up.
The next step would be to have a look at the existing BeOS Media Kit API.
After you have an overview of how it works, it should then be possible for
you to see how your idea fits into this framework.
That being said, there is still work to do on our Media Kit. No one will
stop you if you write some cool audio plugins, but we could need some help
with regards to completing the codec implementations first.

Hope this helps & best regards,
-Stephan