[openbeos] Some inspiration and ideas...

  • From: "Helmar Rudolph" <helmar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 23:35:02 +0200

Just taking a chance, but moreso wanting to point out a few
things to anyone developing for the BeOS.

Helmar

Forwarded by "Helmar Rudolph" <helmar@xxxxxxxxx>
 From:    Irfon-Kim Ahmad <irfon@xxxxxxxx>
 To:      <helmar@xxxxxxxxx>
 Date:    Mon, 03 Sep 2001 17:26:16 -0400
 Subject: Re: Re[4]: BeOS...
----

on 9/3/01 5:16 PM, Helmar Rudolph at helmar@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> What in particular were you waiting for or looking for? Any Mac
> equivalents?

In terms of making music, the components that existed for BeOS had a lot of
promise, but very few were polished or complete.  MeV was a wonderful
sequencer, but it had a lot of bugs and was missing many features that you
really need.  It didn't have simple things like cut and paste, for example,
and had major bugs like not being able to properly select banks on my
synthesizers.  When it was dropped, the hope of that being fixed
disappeared.  The same problem existed in Sequitur and dBe, so it may have
been an OS problem even.

Then there were the parts that didn't even exist.  Peak, for example, was
always "coming".  I don't think it will ever be released.  There were no
audio editors capable of communicating with my sampler.  There were barely
audio editors at all.  There were _no_ multitrack audio mixing tools.
(Unless you count 3dmix, I suppose, but it wasn't capable of enough
functionality to be useful).  Studio management and configuration tools
didn't exist.  Patch Studio was a nice tool, but it had bugs too, and the
develop left BeOS.  None of the high-end audio interfaces worked properly.
Stuff like that.

On the Mac, all of these tools exist.  A lot of people use Macs
professionally to produce music, so there's no end to this stuff.  Even just
Logic Audio itself satisfies the majority of the needs.

The irony is that a lot of these tools were coming out for BeOS, but it just
didn't gain traction in time.  When the focus shift happened way back when
(a couple of years ago now) and subsequently emagic and Steinberg dropped
their project, that was really the point at which BeOS for musicians died.
It's just been a slow downward spiral since.  It's been nearly useless for
audio for at least a year, and getting worse.  :(