[openbeos] Re: Some ideas about windows

  • From: Jeremiah Poling <jeremiah@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 14:07:41 -0500

I was just thinking about this the other day.
I think is a great Idea.
IIRC the metacity WM on gnome2 does this

something else I think would be nifty would be having preset
window layouts. this is sorta difficult to explain, but let me try.

this would be a function similar to the "tile windows" functionality in
MS operating systems.

but you could lay the windows out on the screen as you wanted them
and then save that layout to be used later.

it would have an interface that would let you choose which open program
would go in each pre-defined size and screen location.
(I don't know what the best interface would be)
perhaps a borderless window with a miniature desktop with empty windows
and a list of running programs that can be dragged into each position?

you could also have it just put them back like they were if its the same programs
that you had open when you created the layout.

someone else mentioned having the WM maximize the windows and arrange
the title bars along the top of the screen like tabs.
I think that would be cool as well.

Thoughts?

Jeremiah

On Friday, October 18, 2002, at 01:12 PM, DeadMilkman wrote:

What about include in the future some "extra behavior" in app windows?

Eg:

- If you hold CTRL while dragging the window close to the corner of the
screen, it´s atracted. (Like Winamp).
- If you hold Shift and click in the window control box, you make it a
topmost window.

-DeadMilkman