[openbeos] Re: Site for non-devs?

  • From: "Commander Sozo" <commander_sozo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 02:03:09 -0500 CDT

Here's something everyone (dev or not) can do to help.  For those of
you who live in the US in general and in California in specific (or
used to, or know someone who does, etc), take a look at http://
www.msfreepc.com  Part of a lawsuit in California forced micro$oft to
make a $1.1 billion US settlement directly to people who purchased
their software (whether it was preloaded on their computer or bought
separately) to use for the purchase of computer hardware or software.
If nobody claims the money, M$ doesn't have to pay, so it's not too
widely publicized.  If you bought certain products in a certain time
period then you qualify to get a settlement (the page has more info on
who and which products qualify for a settlement payment).  Just a fair
warning, the site was put up by the guys at lindows.com and they try to
get you to claim your refund and spend it on their stuff.  But just
think what you can do if you send the settlement on to the OpenBeOS
team.  I know the guys at BeDrivers.com are having fund drives to get
money to buy hardware, if one person claims their cash and sends it
their way, we could be well on the way to having GeForce4 drivers soon.
I also remember hearing Axel and a few others mention the need for
specific hardware (and I know there are devs with unspoken needs), even
a small group of 6 or so people could make a significant impact.  This
is a great sort of thing to do for those of you who qualify and want to
contribute.  At least invest 5 minutes into checking it out.
Personally, I think it would be hilarious for the software project that
started the decline of micro$oft to be funded by micro$oft itself (we
all can hope right :) ).

Commander Sozo
commander_sozo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx