[openbeos] Re: Site Audit

  • From: "Dennis d'Entremont" <dennis.dentremont@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 10:49:44 -0300

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 9:45 PM, Oliver Ruiz Dorantes <
oliver.ruiz.dorantes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi
>

>> Not sure I understand what you mean... I want to try to get away from
>> people submitting their own mirrors and links to files. If everything is all
>> in one place, even if it goes down, it would be a lot easier to retrieve
>> than if files are scattered all over the web.
>>

> Just people posting you a temporal URL where you can retrieve and mirror
> the lost app.
>

>>  I didn't. I didn't download or add Zeta apps because Zeta is dead. Also,
>> I didn't download sources.
>>

> Thats a mistake. All bin only app is unmaintanable and will become unuseful
> as soon as Haiku switches to gcc4 or further evolutions. Maybe few(10%?) of
> the apps you saved had its sources, but these are the only ones that have a
> choice to stay in the future for Haiku.
>

>> There are very few sources available. I thought long and hard about this
>> one. I don't want Haikuware to become a repository for source code.
>>

> Its not that it has to be in haikuware. The code could be included with the
> package, or an osdrawer project could be opened for each of them. "Where" is
> not the question now, just having them in a safe place before more websites
> are gone, and that valueable codebase lost forever.
> If it cannot be in Haikuware. We need to have somewhere with as much as
> beos app sources avaliable, not in terms of repository thats for OsDrawer.
> But in terms ensure all beos apps that were opensourced are safe and can be
> maintained and reinserted in Haiku for the future.
> So if someone moreover the bin of karl's list *has the sources... SPAM me
> please. *I might find some time for a website for this.

I have no problem helping with the source too. I would be willing to create
projects for individual apps on osdrawer for each package people send me. If
you have the source feel free to email it to me off list with the
appropriate info and I will create an osdrawer project. If Oliver wants to
create a website for this all the best as well,

--
Dennis d'Entremont
IT Professional CNA, MCP, A+, ITIL