[openbeos] Re: Singleuser vs Multiuser

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 22:36:13 +0100 (MET)

En réponse à Michael Phipps <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
<snip>
> Finally, not so much for the beta, but for the final release:
> We will want to ship some apps. Esp if we make a .iso file and/or burn
> and distribute CDs.
> The apps that came with BeOS, for example, will need a rewrite. Or
> something like them.
> Also some apps that exist out in the community could well ship with a
> final R1.

I grant the OpenBeOS the right to use NiftyPlayer in any way may suit.
The current version still has lots of bugs *sigh*, and the license is still
quite undefined. Actually up to now I just used Be's sample code license.
The current code has some bugs corrected from the published version on BeBits.
But I'm undergoing a total rewrite and I plan to put it under GPL (yeah I hear
you screaming), maybe I will use a dual licence GPL/MIT (Mozilla now uses 3
licences concurrently :) ). This will depend on the other software I will use
code from also (thinking about ffmpeg...).
I can't tell much more for now, because either I want to make the surprise, and
also I don't want to make to many promises.

<snip>
> Things are getting done and we are making a lot of progress! Not
> everything is perfectly smooth, but
> we are making far more progress than I ever thought possible! I look
> forward to hearing from Aaron how many of
> you are filling his mail account! :-)

Eh =)
Btw I hope someday I'll be able to work on the kernel (I wasn't even able to
touch the code for nplay for 1 month :-(). Anyway I should have some more next
week, and by the end of Feb the courses are over, so I assume I'll have some
more time also (don't want to be to optimistic anyway, we'll see).

François.