[openbeos] Re: Singleuser vs Multiuser

  • From: "Anton du Toit" <adu_toit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 13:18:51

>Finally, not so much for the beta, but for the final release:
>We will want to ship some apps. Esp if we make a .iso file and/or burn and
>distribute CDs.
>The apps that came with BeOS, for example, will need a rewrite. Or
>something like them.
>Also some apps that exist out in the community could well ship with a final
>R1.
>Someone needs to lead an effort to gather those apps, contact the developer
>for permission,
>get final builds, package them, test the installation, etc. Someone needs
>to do that.

I wanted to weigh in on this subject of apps, as it is something I have been
thinking about since the "openSoftwareValet" thread a few weeeks back.

I assume that as the aim of the project is to recreate R5, the same "bundled
apps" will be included as part of openBeOS itself: openStyled Edit,
openNetPositive, etc [hmmm, prefacing everything with 'open' could get a
little tedious, eh? :-)].

Beyond this, however - I do think we should include apps on the openBeOS
"distro" beyond the "bundled apps". No use having an OS without apps, right?

But including "other apps" (ie non-bundled apps) on the distro raises issues
which I would want to see sensibly addressed. Consider a few alternatives:

1. Include every (open)BeOS app there is - on a 650MB CD this would probably
be possible.
- Positives: every developer gets their app(s) in there, so they're all
happy as far as that goes.
- Negatives: I foresee MAJOR joe-user-experience problems with apps that
don't really work yet, poorly documented apps, etc ... the whole thing
becomes a bit hard for people without a computer science degree, and
openBeOS is in danger of going into the "geek only" niche.

2. Include only a very few of the most commonly used apps: Productive,
SoundPlay, etc.
- Positives: Every new user gets commercial grade apps - good user
experience.
- Negative: hordes of pissed-off developers. "Why wasn't _my_ app in the
distro??!!".

... and now ... thesis, antithesis and ... synthesis:

3. A two- or three- tier system: say three grades of "other app", something
like 1. "commercial grade". 2. "1.0 or greater release" 3. "beta". This
would require well-thought-out and clearly communicated criteria regarding
app functionality, stability, documentation, un/installability, and so on.
Developers have to be able to understand where their app grades, and what
they need to do to get it up to the next tier, so they are kept happy.

- Positives: balance between requirements of different users: joe user can
just install the "commercial grade" apps, but the technical user can install
all the betas he/she wants and play with them.

- Negatives: More work to do in developing and communicating developer
guidelines and criteria for the 3 tiers. Inevitability of _some_ conflict
between some developers and whoever has final say in grading the apps.

This issue will strongly affect the shape of the openBeOS ecosystem /
economy - I think it merits some thought in advance.

Just 0.02c worth from a non-developer.

Anton