[openbeos] Re: Singleuser vs Multiuser

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 20:22:09 -0500

>last I heard on this list, the plan is to release "when it's
>ready" (which sounds very good per se), there were talks
>of "at least several months" for example. IMHO this does not take
>into account the vast difference between components: some
>are already finished or already in quite good shape and could be
>delivered in a few montsh or less, indeed, (MDR2, screensavers,
>printing...) while some others, say, more "centric" or
>"paramount", we dunno if they're still alive and kicking;
>Any takers for a status report on them?
>
>cd (omnipresent, omniscient, everywhere ;-)

Yes, when it is ready. :-)
We have been debating (the team leaders) on when and how we can
do beta testing. What the appropriate pre-beta testing level is, etc.
We also have no plan, currently, as far as an installer.

I would like to ask some of you to step up, here.
First off, we are listing beta testers. If you have never signed up for a "job"
with me,
you are not a "beta tester". Of course, since this is open source, you could
grab and build
at any time, I suppose. But we do want a beta team, probably with its own
mailing list.

What do I need to be a beta tester?
Some time, an adventurous spirit, a good sense of humor, and a non-production
machine - a machine that, if we accidentally reformat, you won't have a fit
over.

If you want to sign up, please mail Aaron, our recruiter:  akavlie@xxxxxxxxxx

Also - there was some discussion about us making an installer. I am very cool
with that. Who is serious about it? Serious enough to put a plan together and
*do* it? Again, mail Aaron to be on the installer team.

Finally, not so much for the beta, but for the final release:
We will want to ship some apps. Esp if we make a .iso file and/or burn and
distribute CDs.
The apps that came with BeOS, for example, will need a rewrite. Or something
like them.
Also some apps that exist out in the community could well ship with a final R1.
Someone needs to lead an effort to gather those apps, contact the developer for
permission,
get final builds, package them, test the installation, etc. Someone needs to do
that.
If you are interested, please contact Aaron (poor guy!).

Things are getting done and we are making a lot of progress! Not everything is
perfectly smooth, but
we are making far more progress than I ever thought possible! I look forward to
hearing from Aaron how many of
you are filling his mail account! :-)

Michael