[openbeos] Re: Showimage

  • From: "Joachim Seemer" <j.seemer@xxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenBeOS ML " <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 14:25:24 +0100 CET

Andrew wrote:

> I would also like to fall in line with Simon's comment.  When I saw
> the
> features in the new ShowImage, my first thought wasn't "wow cool!"
> it was: "uh oh, what justifies all this?".  In at least a couple
> cases I can
> understand: printing, and page navigation. (for multi-page TIFFs)

Generally I agree to beware of feature creep. The suggested slicing
ability would fall into this category IMO. OTOH, we have to consider
the purpose of the app. And I have to say that I think R5's ShowImage
didn't take that into account either.
It isn't just for displaying one image file. That works just as well
with Net+ (plus you get animated GIFs and a history there). R5's
feature was to cut areas out of an image to save it in any format.
Useful, but not the end of things.

IMHO ShowView should accomodate the end-users needs to view his image
collection. This includes navigating easily through folders with
images, zooming (much nicer with bilinear filtering) and rotating
portrait/landscape. Inverting and flipping comes in handy with wrongly
scanned negatives etc. Cutting to an interesting area is useful, even
more so if drag&drop directly into e.g. BeMail would work... :)

ShowImage provides these essential features. Additional features should
IMO work behind the users back, i.e. no more options and menu items if
possible. For example, saving the orientation in an attribute, more
sophisticated navigating, read-ahead etc.

For me as end-user the new ShowImage already proves to be more useful
that R5's version. In fact, I use OBOS' ShowImageX instead of my former
viewer ImagePro that I've paid for!

Thanks to Michael Pfeiffer and Wilber!
J.Seemer