[openbeos] Re: ShowImage "Mirror" Operations

  • From: "Gregor Rosenauer" <gregor.rosenauer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 18:03:10 +0200

[addons]
I think the key-issue here is how it is done, as Axel implied.
Add-ons per se are a great thing IMO but if they *all* get loaded,
initialized etc. on startup, they are a bad solution and just there to
impress people (think Photoshop etc.), along with a "nice"
splash-screen that underlines how professional the software is because
it loads up so many wonderful things...

However a simple solution that just talks to separate
mini-applications that are just loaded *on-demand*, probably using
BMessages, should be fine. I won't go into details here regarding how
I planned this approach for my editor-project DarkSite now...:->

[general]
Anyway I need a proper DriveSetup-replacement much more than an
ShowImage, so let's not hold up the working devs with details;-)

Great work btw, just recently had a chance to *finally* boot into
haiku, albeit using Q(EMU) on MacOS X, and ran successfully for 20
minutes (could be that the emulation hung then, not haiku itself).
Simply impressive (with an emphasis on both "simple" as a good thing
and "impressive":).

Gregor
--
http://grexbox.ath.cx/