[openbeos] Re: ShowImage "Mirror" Operations

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 14:17:03 +0200 CEST

<holmqvist.fredrik@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> A plugins based app should only load slower if there are plugins
> while one that
> has all the 'optionals' built in will always be slower for those who
> never use them.
> Comparing two completly different apps, is very much apples and
> oranges.

Sorry, that's simply untrue. An application that loads add-ons is
slower than one that doesn't, almost no matter how big the app is; the
parts that aren't used in an application are only loaded on-demand,
they never get loaded if the functionality is never used (same for
libraries).
What's taking long with add-ons is not just loading them - it's the
linking process and all that that takes time.

Dunno where you're taking apples and oranges from, anyway. I think
Refraction is just poorly designed, especially in BeOS with its 32 MB
system wide add-on limit (but even without it).

Bye,
   Axel.