[openbeos] Re: ShowImage

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 12:14:13 +0000

> We discussed this, some, at the last admin meeting. There is a fine
> line with
> features like this that we are trying to walk.
>
> Sometimes, very useful and cool things are very trivial to add. I
> don't think
> that much more than a few days of coding time has been taken up by
> this. Some
> features were part of a better implementation of translation (page
> selection).
>
> Honestly, I was a little hesitant about these changes, too, in that
> they are
> feature creep - something that we have to fight against in order to
> get done
> quicker. But I think that they are OK; they bump up against "the
> line", but
> don't cross it. It is sometimes tough to argue "bug" vs "feature
> creep".  Yeah,
> the slideshow stuff is a new feature. But if that is the worst of the
> bunch, I
> think we are in pretty good shape.

I wasn't advising against the current things in ShowImage - just when
François suggest adding things to export non-rectangular selections as
HTML image maps, then alarm bells started going off.

I do have mixed feelings on the slideshow portion - I think maybe a
separate app that lets you add a list of files, set captions, have
animated slide transitions, a little control panel in full screen mode,
etc would maybe work better. Multi-page TIFF support, and support for
resizing images are both very useful features that improve how
ShowImage handles it's primary function - "showing images".

It is amazing how difficult it is to get functionality removed in OSS
projects, so a bit of careful thought is required before adding new
functionality in the first place.

Simon