[haiku] Re: Shortcut keys in menus etc.

  • From: Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 22:38:39 +0200

Julius Bullinger wrote:
On 15.08.2009 15:39, Humdinger wrote:
Wouldn't it be more consistent, to only use the bitmaps COM, CTL, OPT
for command, control, option key?

I think it would be better to read the mappings of each key (COM, CTL, OPT) and add them to the menus. So when I have ALT as my option key, the menu shows ALT + ?, and when it's mapped to CTRL, the menu shows CTRL + ?.

The thing is, that you can't say what e.g. the OPTION key is physically labeled on a keyboard. It can be the WIN key if that is present on your keyboard (what about Macs?) or it could be AltGr or "the ALT key to the right of the spacebar" for keyboard that don't have that labeled "AltGr".

> If I imagine coming to Haiku as a new users, and it says "COM", "CTL"
> and "OPT" everywhere, I'd be confused.

The OPT key will always confuse you, as explained above. So, the user will have to consult the user guide once, will learn what it means and will never be confused again, no matter how his keymap changes. After a very short time, one only sees the actual shortcut key (C,V,X etc.) and has committed to muscle memory to use e.g. ALT when it's a command and CTRL when it's a control.

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de