[haiku] Re: Shortcut keys in menus etc.

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 02:06:41 +0200

On 2009-08-15 at 23:48:05 [+0200], Rene Gollent <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 4:35 PM, Ingo Weinhold<ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > Such blatant product placement can't left unanswered. A true HHH's
> > (Hardcore Haiku Hacker's) keyboard does of course belong to Kinesis'
> > contoured keyboard series. :-)
>
> As in this?
> http://www.amazon.com/Kinesis-Advantage-USB-Keyboard-black/dp/B000LVJ9W8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1250372850&sr=8-2

Yep. There are differently named models with the same design (e.g. Oliver
has an Ergo Elan).

On 2009-08-15 at 23:50:16 [+0200], Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 5:35 PM, Ingo Weinhold<ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Such blatant product placement can't left unanswered. A true HHH's
> > (Hardcore Haiku Hacker's) keyboard does of course belong to Kinesis'
> > contoured keyboard series. :-)
>
> ROFL! Those do look pretty awesome, though I don't know if I'd have
> the patience to learn to use them.

If you're already touch typing, it doesn't take that long to getting used to
it, at least if you're consequently using it. I guess it took me only a week
or so to get up to speed and maybe a month to reach the same proficiency as
with a standard keyboard.

Overall it's mostly a standard layout with some keys moved to better
locations (to an additional row and to the thumb ranges), particularly
relieving the right pinky of quite a bit of work. The thumb keys are just
brilliant (especially Backspace and Delete). The hardest thing to get used
to are the cursor keys, which are split between the hands (left/right on the
left side, up/down on the right). Though there's some nice synergy with the
unused (and freely remappable) key left to the left/right keys, allowing
convenient one-handed word or subword navigation.

Well, the best thing is that it completely relieved me of the strain issues
I was starting to get, which the Microsoft Natural keyboard I was trying
didn't really help with.

> Though maybe this is the secret you
> and Axel keep hidden in your secret über-coding caverns...

Yep, that and those alien tech brain wave inducers... ;-)

> What is sad is despite my blatant advertisement of that Microsoft
> keyboard, lately I've been doing all my Haiku coding on my ThinkPad's
> built-in keyboard (though it isn't so bad...)

After some days of laptop keyboard hacking my hands and arms are always
seriously happy to get back to a real keyboard.

CU, Ingo