[openbeos] Re: Set speed of cpu while running

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 21:49:09 +0200 CEST

> Hi all,
>
> this is not a real question for the developing of Haiku, but as here
> are
> the people who know the api the best and developing the kernel, I´ll
> give it a try.
> My question is, if there is a kernel-function which allows a
> kernel-add-on to tell the kernel the actual cpu speed? The idea
> behind
> this is that I would like to try to look into driver developing with
> speed-step driver. As I don´t realy have a lot of time, I would like
> know if this is even possible under Haiku or BeOS in it´s current
> state.
> Thanks and sorry for my english :-/

The problem in R5 is the kernel calibrates the cpu speed at boot, and
uses it for a lot of things (snooze, sem timeouts, ...) so changing the
speed live could cause problems, except if the cpu counter keeps
running at a constant speed, which I'm not sure at all.
I'm not sure how our kernel compares on that area.
François.