[openbeos] Re: Services Kit?

  • From: "Erik Jakowatz" <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 20:50:04 -0700

While this sounds like a pretty cool idea (at first glance at least), we
could really use as many folks as possible working on reimplementing the
existing kits.  Stuff like this would be great for R2, though.

>Linux has all that goofy init.d stuff, Windows has the Services control
>panel (and net.exe)... Do we need a standard mechanism for the
>management and configuration of system services under the OpenBeOS?
>
>Since "startup" services and "periodic" services (think cron) are so
>closely related, why not produce a "service_server" to handle
boot-time,
>on-demand (inetd-style), and cronjob-type services?
>
>This would appear to be relatively simple to implement. We would have
>to:
>
>1. Define a common interface for BeOS "services", including standard
>start/stop/restart/install/uninstall/out-of-band messages.
>
>2. Write the service_server and associated clients to send it commands
>via BMessages.
>
>Now, I like Linux's method of handling services in that each service
>gets a custom start/stop script. If the service_server simply called
>scripts, we could easily write wrappers for, say, Apache, Postgres,
etc,
>converting them into functional BeOS services.
>
>Still, there are advantages to Microsoft-style binary services. So, I
>propose that the service_server use the existing add-on interface to
>allow service execution plugins (say one for binary services, one for
>services that use startup scripts, one for remote services being called
>over XML-RPC...) This would provide for maximum flexibility.
>
>UserBootScript isn't enough fun for me, and using the cron port on the
>BeOS just doesn't seem Be-like.
>
>I would be more than willing to lay the groundwork for this kit, if
>there is enough support for the idea.
>
>Gabe

Data is not information, and information is not knowledge: knowledge is
not understanding, and understanding is not wisdom.
        - Philip Adams