[openbeos] Re: Servers Preferences app

  • From: "David Shipman" <unlyrn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 22:08:54 -0800

> > BeRestart (or similar) should be standard in OBOS... perhaps extending
the
> > teams-manager to encapsulate this? (you can currently restart the
desktop
> > (deskbar/tracker), but not the servers...)
> Sure? Here it shows input_server, debug_server and all the others -

You can kill the servers from teams-manager, but only Tracker/Deskbar can be
(re)started

>  however I think the teams-manager is not the right place for this, since
it is
>  designed as a rescue-tool, halting operation of all other tasks and
allowing direct
>  system-control.

One of my main reasons for having BeRestart running is as a rescue-tool.
There are relatively few times I have needed to manually restart servers
unless they were 'broken' in some way (ie requiring 'rescue')

Besides which, the task-managers 'direct system-control' is quite beneficial
in this regard...
Case in point : I had an unusual crash lately... the system boots, but the
only thing displayed onscreen was the cursor. Spiceykeys was running, so I
tried to open a Terminal... nothing came up.
So, to teams-manager I went - the window opened, showing all the tasks
(including those like the just-launched Terminal that I couldn't even see).
However teams-manager bypasses the usual windowing system, it works; and is
sometimes very necessary; I think its just a bit presumptuous that
Deskbar/Tracker are the only things that could crash badly enough to need
restarting from TM....