[openbeos] Re: Servers

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:31:42 +0200 CEST

Troy Banther <troybanther@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Same here. I use BeOS as a websever using PoorMan. I was using Apache
> but I
> cannot justify such a heavy program for a small site like mine. I
> also FTP
> and Telnet from work to take care of business. Then there is
> TuneTracker. I
> have my own audio stream for my wife and myself. Beats the heck out
> of
> lugging and loosing CDs.
>
> Maybe it's too much to wish for and maybe others are right. But it
> would be
> fantastic to use BeOS as a true server in small production
> environments.
> Does anyone have the newer SAMBA that is supposedly out there
> somewhere?

It will definitely be better suited for this task than R5, but it will
also definitely not match FreeBSD or Linux in this regard.
OpenBeOS will be a user centered OS - that means it will probably have
less through-put than any real server systems like FreeBSD. It will be
enough for most smaller tasks, though.
Anyway, you shouldn't use FTP/Telnet in BeOS - once someone has access
to your machine (as those protocols are not encrypted), he can do
everything (running as root).

Bye,
   Axel.