[openbeos] Re: Server Resource Usage

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 21:20:20 -0500

>Kit & Server Writers,
>
>    I have other things I am working on and I can't contribute code but if I
>have an idea or a solution I thought I should contribute.

Glad to have it!

>    Here is an idea I came up with when I was working on a server. (I later
>found Clue did what I wanted and more.)

Neat, isn't it? :-)

>    If a server is not used all the time and it is wasting valuable resources
>it could be started by the kit when a program needs it and the server would
>exit when the last program is finished.

I have to stop you right here.
I want to disagree with a couple of things here. "it is wasting valuable
resources". Not really. A server that is not doing anything is getting NO cpu
time (since it is not receiving any messages). If memory usage has become quite
high, most or all of the server's memory has been swapped out. So it is a
thread/process structure and a message port. This is not a *significant* amount
of resources. Not that we should have 10,000 of them lying around. But I think
that the *say* 10 total servers that this *might* ever be an issue for will not
consume too much. Also, as Nathan adroitly pointed out in his last newsletter,
the general reason to *have* a server is that there is some startup overhead.
That would be a bad thing to incur too often.

[snip]

>I would like to point out that OBOS R1 can not be BeOS R5 and if we can
>economically add a needed feature we should.

I beg to differ. If you know of some significant place where R1 can not be R5,
please mail me offlist and we can explore it. I think that we have proven
pretty strongly that R1 *CAN* be R5, in every way that matters.