[openbeos] Re: Scripting (Shells)

  • From: "Frank D. Engel, Jr." <fde101@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 14:52:09 -0700 (PDT)

> (t)csh must DIE!
>
> o It is not compatible with Bourne nor Korn Shells
>
> o Bash is better
>
> o Zsh is better and can emulate csh features
>
> o Only the old-fashioned and almost reactionary folks at
> xBSD want to keep it.

* csh is the default shell under Solaris 8.

* How many shell scripts rely on it? (I honestly don't know)

* Why?

Note: Personally, I use bash, but I cannot see the sense in eliminating
this option.  This is like trying to kill a window manager because it
is not truly needed.  Perhaps from the perspective of a distribution,
this may make sense.  However, some users might prefer it, so the
ability to add it on...

=====
=======
Frank D. Engel, Jr.