[haiku] Re: Screen preferences usability question: default button for keep settings dialog?

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 09:15:15 +0200 CEST

Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I did look at ticket 3669, which is similar to what I just typed,
> > so I
> > do know that F12 is only temporary.  Perhaps for now though, F12
> > should only activate KDL if it is the only key that is pressed at
> > the
> > time.  Thoughts?
> Personally, I think it should be a little more difficult to get to
> KDL
> by accident ;) I realize the feature is "temporary" currently, but
> perhaps it could be made slightly more cumbersome by introducing some
> modifier keys into the equation? Perhaps even using the
> "Ctrl-Shift-Break" instead?

I think we should continue to use F12 for the standard builds, and
something more "interesting" for the release builds. The nightly builds
could be regarded as release builds in this regard; we just need a
build system mechanism to differentiate between the two (the release
build should also remove the terminal).

> But, on the brighter side, I recall someone at LinuxWorld asked me
> how
> easy it was to "crash" Haiku and I was able to enthusiastically show
> him how easy it was by simply hitting F12!
>
> Somehow, the excitement didn't translate directly though, as he
> looked
> at me with some confusion on his face. Unfortunately at that time
> someone else distracted me another question so I didn't get to chat
> with him further about Haiku's ease-of-kernel-debugging :(

Hehe :-)

Bye,
   Axel.