[haiku] Re: SOPA Website blackout ?

  • From: Justin Stressman <jstressman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 21:42:40 -0500

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 6:49 PM, Ari Haviv <arielbhaviv@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm not in favor of any kind of blackout. We should do more to promote free
> software on that day instead of closing and hiding and thus giving another
> opportunity for everyone who is still open to be the chosen alternative.

The point is that we're comparing a few hours of Haiku's main web page
being up as usual against the very real possibility of the death of
the open internet as we've known it... I simply don't see any question
as to the option of greater importance.

"Oops, some corporation claims someone linked to some copyrighted
material on haiku's website. Now the haiku-os.org domain name has been
shut down and blacklisted without any questions asked, no judicial
oversight, etc."

Won't that be great for Haiku and free software. (O_O) Nothing like
giving corporations unchecked ability to silence open source
competition over the slightest infraction regardless of context.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/01/january-18-internet-wide-protests-against-blacklist-legislation

Now realistically one doesn't have to black out the site entirely. The
page could be changed to link to information about SOPA/PIPA while
still offering the rest of the normal Haiku content (somewhat like the
front page of the EFF site at the moment).

If someone decides they do want to go this latter route and merely add
SOPA/PIPA information (a modified theme for Drupal basically) rather
than following Reddit and en.Wikipedia's examples, I'd be willing to
help, since we're less than 12 hours away from the start of the
protest.

I sincerely hope Haiku takes action on this issue and I was excited to
see it discussed and mostly supported here.

--
猿も木から落ちる