[haiku] SOPA Website blackout ?

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 15:07:20 +0100

In case you have been living on another planet last week, you might have missed news that some big sites like Wikipedia will be blacked out on wednesday to protest an upcoming bill nicknamed SOPA (meaning, ironically, Stop Online Piracy Act), which is one but many of current attempts at restricting online freedom.

Those are just the latest iteration of longstanding threats which also hurt free software like us. Starting with DMCA and its legal provisions for DRM making it very hard to legally ship with a way to decode a DVD for ex. in the US.

I propose we follow the blackout on our website.

more info:

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/English_Wikipedia_anti-SOPA_blackout

http://www.BlackoutSOPA.org/

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/01/how-pipa-and-sopa-violate-white-house-principles-supporting-free-speech