[haiku] Re: SMPlayer on Haiku: DVD playing and media streaming

  • From: Giovanni Mugnai <musical777@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 01:35:25 +0000

About the crash issue, for Dane and Sean, maybe i've found the clue.
First of all, Sean told me that he have two identical Haiku
installation (maybe on a different hardware?) and told me that on one
of these he can play videos and on the other one he cannot, due a
crash.
Privately, i have also received similar feedbacks from other users.
And i have found that the crashiness is caused by mplayer and not by
SMPlayer, because if they attempt to play a video with mplayer (which
is the "engine" of SMPlayer) mplayer will crash.
So i have to consider that those users which experience crash of
maplayer, maybe have found a bug in the video outputof mplayer, which
(considering positive and negative feedbacks) should be, at this
point, hardware (or driver?) related.
Otherwise everyone, unconditionally, would experience crash. But ain't
the same for everyone.

Edit: while i was writing this, i've turned another PC which have an
nVidia video card, and i experienced the same issue while i attempt to
play any video file with mplayer from terminal :-(

Sean, please tell me which video card are you using on the system
where mplayer work and the other one where mplayer crash.