[haiku] Re: SMPlayer on Haiku: DVD playing and media streaming

  • From: Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 17:50:14 -0700

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 08:23:52PM +0100, Giovanni Mugnai wrote:
> 2013/3/26 Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Thanks, but that option doesn't seem to have any effect --
> > probably because MPlayer wasn't compiled with 'dvdnav'?
> >
> > Also, very strangely, though things worked (sort of (:-/) yesterday,
> > when I tried to run SMPlayer today it crashed on me too!  Symptom
> > was that the program would start, but no window would appear.
> > Eventually it went into the debugger.
> >

> I'd like to help you, Pete.
> Before of all, if you can, try also SMPlayer on Windows and send me
> feedback about DVD menus. As i've said, for me DVDs menus works fine
> on Haiku:

Thanks, G. but I think I'm going to give up for now... (:-()
I upgraded both Qt to 4.8.5, and SMPlayer to your latest, and
DVD Menus *do* now work, but most of the time DVDs are
unplayable due to the freeze and 'hoot' about every three seconds!
I've occasionally seen this completely disappear for a while, but it
always comes back.

Now I've done something else that again prevents SMPlayer's
panel appearing, even though the program is running -- dunno
what.  I'll wait until I've got a newer Haiku rev installed, in case that's
a problem.

Maybe there's something about the Haiku driver vs. the laptop's
DVD drive.  I'll *eventually* get it working under Linux, but so far
I haven't been able to hack my way through the jungle of decoding
libraries and repositories to get to the point of any working app!
(All the recipes I've found on the web so far fail to find the files
or something...)  I'm off to try again now.

I don't *do* Windows (:-/), so that option's out...

Thanks anyway.

        -- Pete --