[haiku] Re: SMPlayer on Haiku: DVD playing and media streaming

  • From: Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 19:37:06 -0700

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 08:44:48PM +0000, Giovanni Mugnai wrote:
> 2013/3/25 Dane <signalcaster@xxxxxxxxx>:
> > Crashes here too...I posted some stack crawls to comments at the download
> > page.
>
> Ok, i have installed a fresh GCC4 only Haiku revision, and i have
> installed the package from scratch, downloaded from Haikuware:
> http://s3.postimg.org/aeljv4d4j/SMPlayer_ONGCC4.png According to this
> screenshot, both Mplayer and SMPlayer, runs fine on Haiku GCC4,
> nothing crash and Youtube videos are played fine.
>
> Maybe you and Sean can try to download again the zip file, could be corrupted.

It seems to work for me -- with a couple of reservations maybe --
on my current (slightly pre-A4) gcc2 hybrid.

The link on the Haikuware page to Qt is no good.  (It prepends
Haikuware's own URL!)  I seem to have Qt 4.8.0 which is older than
you suggest, but it seems OK.

I was able to play a DVD, though there doesn't seem to be any
way to get at the interactive menu my Player Box displays.  I
eventually found the "Browse" menu which appeatrs to achieve
the same sort of thing (except the "Optional Features"?).

My first attempt to play a Youtube video was dismal, though.
It kept freezing and 'hooting' at me.  May have been YouTube's
fault, because a later attempt with another URL was better.
I don't see that it's possible to play things like the BBC (which
Linux Firefox does): it just went into an endless [and unkillable!]
loop when I tried.

A major advance over no access, though!  Thanks, Giovanni!

        -- Pete --