[openbeos] Re: SK: interacting modules

  • From: "Cedric Degea" <cdegea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 19:46:57 +0200

More couples of cents thrown in from here:
>> why would you loose BMessages ?? (and how ?)
>> never had any problem with them... maybe you mean 'corrupt' ?
>
>It is for instance a known problem, that, when the machine is under
load,

Because load could make some threads less responsive and make
them not keep up with messages they receive, yes..

>sometimes B_MOUSE_MOVED messages (in particular with B_EXITED_TRANSIT)
got
>lost...

Not sure what you refer to here; it can't be the bug that one
can e.g. see in Postmaster when the cursor changes to an arrow
because of a "mouse over" and then never changes back to the hand,
because that one happens regardless of the load, and seems very
much to be a bug in the app_server -- people may reproduce it
at will by "incorrectly" MoveBy()ing their BViews, having a child
clipped by its parent for example.. it struck me a few weeks ago.
  Maybe you meant this as a subset of the previous point and I'm
going over the top for nothing, sorry :-)

> which causes some pain, if your favorite view relies on them.

Anyway,
AFAIC not much has evolved since this topic seriously
arose on "os news" some time ago, I've only had the experience
of a bug triggered by a thread in one of my apps being
blocked (or too slow) at processing messages and thus
reaching the maximum limit set in the constructor
before dropping those that are above that limit (which is
the desirable behaviour of course).

So my status/take has become:
* number of messages dropped overall: some (indeed it may happen..
  have to bite the bullet here).
* number of messages dropped that I'd wish were not: 0.

The only thing I'd claim "could be improved" in 5.0.3's
design about this is, one should be able to get a notification
that messages were dropped, to be able to kill the application
altogether or maybe something smarter;  having hunted
for a phantom bug for 2 hours before understanding what was
going on was no fun, as I recall :-)

--
http://cdegea.free.fr/ | BeDev E-16870
"What's oil got to do, got to do with it" -- F02 Chorus