[openbeos] Re: Running Haiku in Virtual Machines

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 11:14:35 +1300

On 2006-11-13 at 09:45:27 [+1300], Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> FYI I have also tried my hand at making icons in Icon-O-Matic and I
> would you to take a look at my work so far on the icon for the Email
> Preferences (it seemed like an easier one):
>
> http://www.ryanleavengood.com/files/email_prefs
>
> It is not complete but I just wanted to get your feedback to see if I
> was on the right track in regards to the style as well as the use of
> the vector graphics.

Yes, very good! I meant to put up another document explaining how to do
icons in Icon-O-Matic. I usually give the outline stroke a with of "4" and
put it behind the fill shape. That way I can be sure the outline is one
pixel wide at 32x32. If you want to avoid the overlapping between outline
and fill, you can use the "Contour" Transformer as well. In that case, the
Contour transformer gets a width of "2" (or -2 depending on the direction of
the original path, which ever way is outward). But in all my icons, I just
used a 4 pixel stroke and put it behind the fill shape, is probably just as
good.

One tip about the stamp: Reusing the same path for stroke and outline is
absolutely correct, the problem with reusing the path for the stamp might be
that it will not work well when you apply the perspective distortion later
on. If the stamp was a more complicated shape, here is how you can copy it's
path:
- shift-drag the path in the list view to make a duplicate
- assign the duplicate to the stamp shape instead of the original
- select Shape->Freeze Transformation from the menu, this will apply the
shape transformation to the path (and style) permanently and reset the shape
transformation back to identity. Icon-O-Matic doesn't carry out the command
if the path is used in another shape that has a different transformation
though.

However, you understood everything there is to understand about the re-use
of paths and how you transform shapes and gradients. There is nothing more
to it. One useful but currently hidden feature is that you can press "T"
when you have a couple of path points selected to get a transform box for
them. Also, pressing shift when dragging the transform box will constrain it
in various ways. I guess I will quickly commit my recent Icon-O-Matic fixes
then... :-)

Best regards,
-Stephan