[openbeos] Re: Running BeOS 5 Pro under VmWare 2.0/3.0 + goodies

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 02:38:19 +0100 (MET)

> I just installed the VMWare 3.0 beta. It does work with VESA modes. :)
>
> It may not be as groovy as full driver support, but it does beat
> the default b&w safe mode. As someone who knows about getting cheesed
> off
> about VESA modes, I can say, it's much better than nothing. :)
> 1024x768x15 never seemed so good. :) I've seen a few
Nice
what about accelerated drivers ?
The sources for the XFree4 driver are available on their site, so
if one wants to take it over...

> I have sent their beta feedback an email, and told them my motivation
> for not purchasing VMWare in the past was lack of BeOS support, and
> that
> if improvements continue I will be making a purchase.
But maybe they can do it themselves ;) Though we don't have any garanty when it
will work...

Still noone tried Plex86 ?

quite off topic: I'm close to having BeVnc working, I ran it for 2 hours long
without crashing, just had to avoid the screen edges with the mouse, certainly
some clipping issue. I don't know if this will be helpful directly for OBOS
though, maybe for the interface kit team when testing the app_server drivers
so they can have the first app_server running on a ram framebuffer and using
VNC so they have more control than only using telnet.

Talking about app_server, I also got it to restart succesfully without
rebooting the whole machine using the script below. Though it seems it doesn't
want to use the same video mode, it gets stuck on plain VGA. but at least I got
a Terminal and even Deskbar and Tracker back !
If you want to give it a try of course first close all apps, and save all your
work ! And prepare to reboot anyway.

I still think an textual console driver would prove useful someday... maybe
I'll write a basic one

François.

BEGIN restart_app_server
#!/bin/sh

# avoid having stdin/stdout connected to a terminal
exec </dev/null >/dev/null 2>&1

#APP_SERVER=picasso
APP_SERVER=matisse

# maybe this is overkill, it's just to make sure
quit application/x-vnd.Be-TRAK
quit application/x-vnd.Be-TSKB
sync
sleep 1
quit application/x-vnd.Be-input_server
sleep 1
# not sure it works
quit application/x-vnd.Be-APPS
sleep 1

kill -9 Deskbar
kill -9 Tracker
kill -9 Deskbar
kill -9 Tracker
#kill app_server
#kill input_server

sleep 3
sync
sleep 1
kill -0 input_server
kill -9 app_server
kill -9 input_server
kill -9 app_server
kill -9 input_server

sleep 1
/boot/beos/system/servers/app_server $APP_SERVER &
sleep 2
APP_SERVER_NAME=$APP_SERVER
export APP_SERVER_NAME
/boot/beos/apps/Terminal &
#/boot/beos/system/servers/input_server -q &
#sleep 3
/boot/apps/Terminal &
sleep 1
/boot/beos/system/Deskbar &